Monday, November 2, 2009

Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potato Casserole

I want to try my hand at sweet potatoes this year at Thanksgiving. I remember one year at my Aunt and Uncle's they had one awesome sweet potato casserole for an Easter. It was the first time I tried it and it was only because everyone proclaimed how much the dish tasted like pumpkin pie. So I gave it a whirl and LOVED it too. Haven't had them since, but I want to try a recipe of my own.

I scrounge the internet and concocted this little ditty and I can't wait to try it out this month before Thanksgiving and hopefully even during Thanksgiving, if it turns out well.


2-29oz Cans Sweet Potatoes (or 4½ lbs cooked, pealed & mashed sweet potatoes)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (or brown sugar)
1/8 cup Maple Syrup (real)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten

1½ cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup butter
1½ cup chopped pecans


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

2. In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, evap. milk, dark brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish.

3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes.

4. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

No comments: